The ‘war on waste’ is coming to the City of Logan when Queensland’s largest sustainability festival returns in June.
The free entry Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF) is on Sunday, June 4 in celebration of World Environment Day.
Craig Reucassel, from the ABC’s The War on Waste, headlines the program alongside gardener, chef and Grow it Local co-founder, Paul West.
The pair will appear at LEAF alongside a range of interactive presentations and workshops from leading sustainability experts.
Environment Chair Cr Jon Raven said LEAF would once again attract thousands of green thumbs to Logan.
“LEAF’s popularity is growing, especially with young people and residents who care about the environment,” Cr Raven said.
“Our city prides itself on our green credentials and is a treasure chest of talent and innovation when it comes to sustainability.
“It’s not just Logan that loves LEAF, this has become an ecotourism event with people coming from across the country to see how we can reduce, reuse, repair and recycle.”
A Circular Economy Hub is among the new additions to the 2023 line-up.
The Hub will host a Repair Café where attendees can learn how to mend clothes and other wearable items.
City Lifestyle Chair Cr Laurie Koranski said there would be something on offer for everyone at 2023 LEAF.
“I have no doubts the LEAF program will inspire everyone to lead a more sustainable life,” Cr Koranski said.
“We are excited to welcome a fantastic line-up of presenters to the festival, who will share clever and environmentally friendly ideas.
“There will also be a variety of hands-on workshops and activities for those wanting to challenge themselves and learn something new.”
Lifestyle Deputy Chair and Division 6 Cr Tony Hall said LEAF was always a highlight for his local community.
“I look forward to LEAF returning to Division 6 each year,” Cr Hall said.
“It’s always a fantastic day out with expert advice, entertainment, and workshops on offer to suit the whole family.
“There’s plenty for the children too, with lots of activities in the Kids Zone to keep small hands busy.”
The full 2023 Logan Eco Action Festival program is available on the Logan website.
Registrations are still open for eco-friendly vendors wishing to exhibit, perform or host workshops at 2023 LEAF. To register, head to the Logan City Council website.
Highlights of the 2023 LEAF program include:
- Home Grown Food Growers will Save the World: Gardener, chef and co-founder of Grow it Local, Paul West, explores the collective impact from everyday people growing food in their homes and community.
- Rusty the Raptor: Take a trip into the pre-historic world and get up close to a lifelike dinosaur in the Kids Zone.
- Eco Dome workshops: Get your hands dirty and learn how to build a small bird habitat or explore the world of bushtucker.
- Wellness tent: Take a moment for yourself at the Wellness tent and explore breathwork meditation, cocoa ceremonies and tea-blending workshops.
- Eco Mini Talks Stage: Join leading sustainability experts for a range of presentations on backyard beekeeping, vertical gardens, worm farms, reclaimed timber and soap making.