Days after intense rainfall over Logan and much of South-East Queensland, there was finally some relief in the downpour.

The skies were clearing and the clouds headed south, but this was really only the beginning of what was yet to come.

Today one year ago, Logan residents were about to face intense flooding across the city with some areas worse hit than 2017 and 1974.

While the weather had cleared, there were still major flood warnings in place as the Logan and Albert rivers continued to rise. 

It all started around midnight on February 23 when intense rainfall fell across the state and continued for four days.

The severe weather situation caused localised flash flooding across dozens of Logan suburbs with more becoming affected as the days rolled by.

As of Monday morning February 28, there were more than 5000 homes without power, almost 200 roads were either reported flooded or damaged and more than 700mm of rain had fallen over some areas of Logan.

Springwood Sharks
Springwood Sharks

Due to the road conditions and safety for residents, all schools were closed across Logan and South-East Queensland and most public transport operations cancelled due to extensive road damage.

Access to the Logan Hospital became limited due to localised flooding in the area, and the only route available was via the Logan Motorway.

Due to days of rain, an already-fatigued emergency services team was pleading with people to stay safe, and not attempt to go near floodwater in any way.

Those who could were sandbagging their homes, moving anything that could float away and leaving their homes hoping for the best.

By Monday evening, Logan Reserve, Flagstone, and Jimboomba had become isolated with all roads cut.

Come Tuesday morning March 1, all state schools remained closed while some private schools decided it was a normal school day and re-opened.

With flooding now at its peak, as the day continued the waters began to recede, however flooding continued to affect roads, homes, and businesses.

On Wednesday March 2, about 200 roads across Logan remained closed or affected by floodwaters.

Councillor Mindy Russell whose house was flooded during this event said it’s hard not to reflect on the good and the bad as we enter the anniversary.

“The community really showed their strength at this time last year.

“I recall neighbours bringing me Zarraffas by boat and helping me build a wall of sand bags. When the water went down, there was so much support for the impacted homes on my street.

“It feels like a long time ago, but I know that a lot of people are still recovering, still settling into new homes, and still waiting for insurance to pay out.”

Mud Army
Mud Army

Various community agencies were out all over the city getting people water, food, and help. People who were not directly affected by the floods began to come out and volunteer their time.

Groups were formed and hubs of people got together and focused on flood clean-up and recovery at people’s homes of which they had never met.

Louie Naumovski from Logan House Fire Support Network was on the ground from the beginning. Having done it all before in 2017, Mr Naumovski knew what was needed and made it happen.

“A year on and I’m thinking about what we did, how the Army, SES, Mud Army and many organisations bonded together to get the city back up as quickly as possible,” said Mr Naumovski.

Mud Army
Mud Army

“The many corporate donations that helped us.

“Families got the necessary help and the government purchased back properties as promised.”

The Logan River experienced the highest levels since 1974 in the urban areas, although peak levels were very similar to the 2017 flood. Whilst the Albert River experienced a significant flood event in 2022, the 2017 flood remains the largest since 1974.

The city pulled itself together as a community and made it through another natural disaster.

Mud Army
Mud Army
Previous articleLogan’s Own Mimi’s House
Next articleMajor Roads Upgrade Program Across City