Tygum Road, Waterford West is a popular park for families and their pets and has a lagoon filled with bird life.

However, due to a spread of Cyanobacteria, commonly known as blue-green algae, the water is now off limits for all.

In the toxic form, blue-green algae can cause illness in humans, pets, waterfowl, and other animals that encounter the algae. Toxic blooms can kill livestock and pets that drink the water.

Contact with affected water can cause skin irritation, mild respiratory effects, and hayfever-like symptoms, or worse.

Cr Jon Raven said that Tygum Lagoon is a bit under the weather.

“We put signs up to make sure people are careful about coming into contact with the water,” said Cr Raven.

“It’s best not to fish or play in the water – especially for pets, don’t let them go for a swim.

“If you come into contact with the water, make sure you wash any skin, clothes or fur that gets wet with soap.

“Council will continue to monitor the quality and take the signs down once the bloom has ended,” said Cr Raven.

If you see any sick wildlife, contact the Logan Animal Ambulance on 1300 264 625 (24/7 service).

Sign Photo thanks to Cr Jon Raven

Previous articleButter Factory Breakfast and Stalls
Next articleMazda Recalls Almost 200,000 Cars